Tuesday, March 24, 2009

On the Road with A Long Way to Go

I’m proud to live in a place that makes an effort. There’s a duality to that, though. Because it’s not enough, is it? But it’s better than nothing. It’s a start. From a recent piece on Public Radio International called “California’s Low-Carbon Diet”:
Reducing greenhouse gas emissions isn’t just a good idea -- in California, it’s the law. The state is the first in the nation to go on a low carb diet. Three years ago it passed legislation restricting the release of climate change gases across its economy.
Do you see what I’m saying? On the one hand, it’s great that we’re on that road; we’ve made a start. So many places in the world haven’t even come to terms with the fact that there’s a problem. On the other… well, sometimes I just think about all the wind and sun and waves out there -- all those lovely clean alternatives -- and I shake my head. Well, sometimes I shake my head and get on my soapbox. I’ll get off it now.

There’s just such a long way yet to go.

The link leads to a transcript of the original broadcast. You can listen to it there, as well. It’s an installment of Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Steve Curwood’s excellent Living on the Earth program. The show has been running continuously since 1991.