Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thoughts on Thanks

I always feel I have so much to give thanks for: family, friends, health. And I feel beyond lucky -- blessed -- every year on this day to cast my eyes around a table surrounded by people I care about. And people who, for the most part care about the same things that move me.

And, honestly? I’m thankful even for that table. And the things we bring to it. Good food, beautifully and lovingly prepared. And good humor. Companionship. Caring. And laughter. Laughter as important, I think, as just about anything else.

I’m thankful, too, for this year gone by. For the fact that I’m striving -- honestly striving -- to leave a less visible footprint than I’ve left in the past. I know more now, and I’m thankful for that as well.

And I’m thankful for Dancing Deer. Of course I’m thankful for that. To have found the place where footprints can be weighed and measured. And where systems can be put in place -- through thoughtful permaculture, through traditional things like composting, through serious consideration, honest thought -- where my footprint will be smaller still. And, with care, perhaps yours will too.

So every year I feel thankful. But this year? I’m more thankful still. Thank you for being part of that.

No comments: